Thursday 30 January 2014

Year of the Horse


Today, January 31st is the Chinese New Year. It's year of the horse so I thought it would be a nice opportunity to draw my own vision of a leaping, galloping, frolicking horsey. Here's how I did it...



From top to bottom: I began with a very quick sketch in pencil. I didn't use any photo references so the proportions might be all wrong. As long as it looked vaguely horse-like I felt it was ok. The next stage I traced over this initial sketch with a better pencil rough. I used layout paper for this. It seemed to look near to what I imagined so I went straight to inking, using a lightbox to see the second sketch underneath my Bristol Board. The pens I used were the Micron, Copics and Sharpies.








I scanned the final drawing into Photoshop and played around with textures and layer blends.



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I really like seeing the behind the scenes like this! Appreciate you sharing. Have you done the other Chinese zodiacs? I know you did the rooster for the spats, but I can't offhand remember if you did any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long term project to complete the Chinese zodiac. Yes rooster was one (my own sign) so I'll try to do another soon. Any suggestions?

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to your Libra!! I turn 50 in October...think it will be ready for me to celebrate?! I love all your designs. I used to wear only plain training gear because I couldn't see myself wearing TapOut-type gear. Your designs are beautifully fierce without being too aggressive.

    ReplyDelete